Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Decisions and Implementations



Implementation is a very valuable word in this here country... the media especially uses it as a word of high regard, so I am hoping that you fine folks read this essay with an expeditiousness only unparalleled by the the book, 'the Great Gatsby'...

 ...sorry to end your violin segment, my boss just gave me something...

Decision...
I ain't gonna lie, straight hair is one of the most glamorous things you can see in shampoo and conditioner advertisements. The way how the full glossy strands move in unity to hold your gaze for just a little while longer...as your hands reach out to... touch what you don't really have...

(Entering the hair-crack/relaxer story and the bright bulb idea to go natural.) 

Lets just say I needed to save money, and my scalp from the chemical beating that I have subjected my head to since the age of 12 years. I have had a variety of styles: dry curl, S-curl, jheri-curl (never liked it), relaxer, braided, weaves, texturized, bleached red-head, bleached-blonde, jet black, crisscrossed corn-rows, lately a long, human hair wig and now, an afro. Most of the hair styling was done by my mother who trained in England to be a hair-dresser. And although she is a nurse now, I will continue to let her do my hair when she feels like it. She is the only hairdresser I would allow on my head at will. In the past, I have had a few other great hairdressers: Roxanne, Pajotte and Adolphus.

Implementation...
I am going all-natural, growing my hair, though, it is not easy. My hair was made light, straight and soft by chemicals for more than half my life, returning to my coiled natural reminds me exactly why I went to chemicals in the first place. With the change 'back to the past', I hope that I can take the challenge of effectively styling my hair, which has taken on an almost rebellious stance, textural-wise. It is dense, thick and my normal conditioners no longer do the trick of keeping my hair soft. I am now purchasing oils like shea Butter, and looking up for products that has shea butter as its main ingredient. I am glad that hot-combs, curlers and relaxers are a thing of the past. For the future, more large combs and brushes may be needed, also I hope I can find more natural products, oils, pomades and conditioners for my hair, as a result, I hope that this can also lead to better skin. 

I was born with Atopic Eczema, so my skin has a tendency of breaking out and getting scaly. No, its not contagious, it is an early indication of asthma, and steroid creams are almost the only effective defense against it. While I dream of being a dark brown, bronzed all-natural woman, I have to work on that dream, and it will take a while. I have changed my diet to include more cereals, fruits and less sugar, although I love my skittles and gummy bears! Its been two months and so far my skin has taken on a different texture, but I still get the breakouts. So next month will be focused on my eczema.

What are you doing to improve your health?

2012©LisaMarieBonaparte

No comments:

Post a Comment