Monday, February 17, 2014

Apartment Upgrade

In Scarborough, I live in a studio apartment. It is something that I always wanted to experience. Some folks like to have a room for everything: bed-room, living-room, bath-room, etc. For some reason, studio apartments are hardly ideal for "roomy section oriented" people. For one, it is an open-concept area with a lot of light, not very claustrophobic, very spacious and an organizational challenge for disorganized people. However, I love that you do save on electricity, I mean one light can illuminate the entire place and there are no "hidden" corners, which makes it easy to find insects like roaches and spiders without feeling like, "I really hope that spider is NOT in this bedroom."

On television channels like HGTV, the viewers are assaulted with terms like "out-dated", or "I wanted hard-wood floors and not laminate" or "this bathroom is tiny" or my favourite, "we will have to renovate this house to put our touches" (even though the home may be move-in ready and the appliances are brand-new). I still love HGTV though, especially, Property Brothers, Love It or List It, Hawai'i Life and House Hunters Intl. I decided to chuck all the renovations and new furniture and whatnot and work with what I have right now:
Its not all white...

Yep, this took me about 30 - 45 mins to plot, measure and recreate and on the right you would see the "cake soap" version of me.

Below is what I dreamt about, still with my original furniture and with a bit of subtractions and additions:
Check out the "Fireman" bed area above the dressing room.

"Tiny" bathroom with dressing area, separated by sliding barn door.

Upgraded kitchen with room to entertain friends.

Dressing room under the bed area.o
Living room layout next to entry.


This look may not be appealing to Caribbean locals, but I can see foreign visitors tackling a layout like this, and there is room for an average-sized dog or cat. 

Let me know what you think on FB under Lisa Marie or below in the comments.

2014©Lisa Marie Bonaparte

No comments:

Post a Comment