Wednesday, December 22, 2010

I Heart Indian Movies and Sari

And yet, I only had one of each. I once had a sari or saree, and I wore it a few times, then one day, I went to New York, returned home and found it missing, I still grieve for it, although its been two years. It was going to be the start of a fabulous personal, international and cultural collection of traditional wear. Or while my paycheck lasted, which did not happen, so all I have are pictures to remember it by.

Moving on. In 1995, I saw my first Indian movie in cinema. it starred Shahrukh Khan and Kajol, my ultimate and favourite onscreen couple, you have to agree, the chemistry there was beautiful with a capital B. Their movie was, Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge. If there was any movie worth paying for it was that one. One friend swore that Kuch Kuch Hota Hai was way better, but I never really got the chance to see it, so now I am on a mission to bag both movies in my personal collection. If you do know where I can get them, send me a message.

This was a huge accomplishment, going to cinema to see an Indian movie. At the time, Indian movies never showed in Port of Spain, you had to go to the cinemas in the East or down south for those popcorn delights. We ended up in a peeling paint one, somewhere in the East, I cant remember it much, except that I had never ever visited that part of Trinidad before. At home before we left, my mom was nervous, and as she handed me some money, she said, "Allyuh, just be careful with my child please?" I went with Wendy, Roselyn, and someone I was not familiar with. We took two taxis, the second one was an East Indian driver, and when he heard where were were going, and what we were going to see, he turned around, watched us, turned his head back to the road, and we were on our way.

When we reached the cinema, it was clear that we were different. Everyone else were of East Indian descent. And the facial expressions spoke volumes. Some of the folks even came up to us and said, "You all are in the wrong cinema." "Who say so!" retorted one of my friends, "I came to see Indian movie tonight, so keep it moving!" I was so scared at the time, I did not want to leave, but I just had to see that movie. So, I held on to Wendy's hand, lowered my head and we went to see Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge with English subtitles. I was most happy. Our joy bubbled over after the movie, and just like in the Bollywood movies rain and saffron colored frilly flowers can rain down on our heads, and we can dance the night away.



I never went to see another Indian movie in life again, personally, I am not into constant musical numbers and I don't have patience for 10 minute long songs, but Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge was different, all the songs were original smash hits, and the backdrops of Europe was a very rich international touch to the whole singing scenes.

I read that Kites is another good one, I might take a try and see it, I mean Hithrick is a very good-looking stud, and seeing him in action may make my brain turn into red rose petals.....mmmmmm...

2010©Lisa Marie Bonaparte

No comments:

Post a Comment