Monday, March 21, 2011

A take in a different direction

Tonight we went to see Battle: Los Angeles. It was fantastic, a little chatty, and hard to focus at times, but it just shows that if you find an opportunity, take it and make sure you succeed despite the odds. At one point I told my sister, "This move looks like it is heading to a hopeless ending." She nodded in agreement. But I was pleasantly surprised at the ending, I was even a bit stressed at some point. And I wondered if I should place a bet on which black guy will be killed first. Now, don't get me wrong, Hollywood has it that if there are too many black people in a movie, some of them got to die off, so I was a bit happy to see that I would have lost the bet. One thing I really love about the movie is that there was no glamour, or fancy schmancy stuff. It was dirty, smelly, raw and real (In a HWD way), and the aliens were really ugly, I could not see their eyes. The were like a mix between the aliens from Independence Day and a zombie jellyfish.

My days in review: Well nothing much, except life. A few experiences that puzzles me though. Today, I was speaking to what I thought was a friend through the internet, in true Caribbean fashion, I was giving him fatigue about the guys giving his girl attention, so I was rather shocked when he turned it into a discussion about starting trouble, he took the trouble donkey and rode it into town, screaming about how much trouble I could get into, plus he got his girl involved. Papayo! Drama! So, I explained to the GF who is American about our culture giving fatigue to couples, she stated, "Well some *country's will have a problem with that, " She meaning her British BF who was insulting in the most cutting manner. That got me thinking about English folks. When I did my research on the internet, I found that many folks stated how rude English people are, I thought, "Nah! Not all of them are like Simon Cowell, there must be some who are quite light-hearted and funny, just like my other English friend." So this guy, took a joke and made it into an all out verbal assault, and I did the best thing, I ignored it, not because I was afraid, or felt intimidated, but I have read of people getting killed for two dollars, and plus, despite what many people think a strong person, in a moment of getting heated to return a violent response, instead walks away, calmly and securely, with dignity and class. Its not worth it. However, I firmly told her that in the future, I promise I would not have anything to do with him, and I meant it by my actions. She said, "I appreciate it." I did not feel bad, I felt sorry for her. Because if a guy cannot treat a woman who is a stranger with respect, how would he treat her. Remember Women's Suffrage and glass ceiling. Plus, when she spoke to me she could not even spell '*countries'.

Personally, I believe in fighting for something that will eventually turn out for good, like when MLK encouraged the boycott of bus transport because of the severe segregation, where "coloured" folks had to sit in one seat in the back, just because they are black, that is worth. But fighting because of a perceived insult, not even asking questions to get a clearer view, especially when the person is of a different culture. Anyway, this is not the first time this insecure English man, has reacted this way. I personally witnessed him verbally belittling someone because he made a stupid statement and they pulled up his socks on it. This guy said to him, "You are quick mate to dish out insults, but when you get it back you can't take it, its time to deal with someone who can stand up to you." He left. So much for being a man.

I could go on and on about men and women and respect and fight and insult. But I am tired, I am tired of the mentally emotional and physical beating I took last year. I am tired of the constant stress, I am tired of being made to look like an ***. I am tired like how Rosa Parks felt too tired to give her seat to a white man. I am just too tired.

2011©Lisa Marie Bonaparte

No comments:

Post a Comment